Everton pull plug on talks after points deduction

Everton have placed contract talks for striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin on hold following their 10-point deduction, sources have told Football Insider.

It is believed the Toffees don’t want to rush into a decision on sanctioning a big-money new deal while their Premier League status remains unclear.

Football Insider revealed on Friday (17 November) that Everton could open contract talks with striker Calvert-Lewin in the new year.

That timeframe may still become a reality if the Merseysiders can continue their good early-season form and once again move clear of the relegation zone.

Sources have also told Football Insider (18 November) that Everton expect their 10-point deduction to be significantly reduced after their appeal.

If they were to be successful, it is believed contract talks would be brooched with Calvert-Lewin and a host of other stars.

But for now, well-placed sources have confirmed discussions over potential extensions are on hold while the uncertainty continues.

Additionally, the 777 Partners takeover of Everton remains pending as the Premier League, Football Association and Financial Conduct Authority ratify the Miami-based buyout.

Calvert-Lewin has notched four goals and one assist in 11 appearances across all competitions this season.

The England international will enter the final 18 months of his deal in the January transfer window and has been the subject of reported interest from Saudi Arabia.

He has started each of the last six Premier League games after suffering a broken cheekbone earlier in the 2023-24 campaign and remains the main man for Sean Dyche’s side despite the signing of Beto in the summer.

Everton are now 19th in the table with four points.

Dyche’s side, who are two points from safety, are next in action against Man United on 26 November.

In other news, Everton want to sign forward duo in January.

Sources: Everton plot January midfielder signing, Dyche to hand unexpected star No10 role

Leave a Comment